Who doesn’t love a good fire pit?
It’s the perfect way to get a barbecue going at a campout and is a comforting image to sit around as the sun goes down, and the light of the fire comforts you in the evenings and nights under the stars.
And, of course, it’s a great way to stay warm during colder nights.
Traditionally, fire pits have been made using real-life wood, and still are the go-to choice for a fire pit today.
However, getting all the firewood together from reputable sources, as well as all the equipment needed to sustain it through the night, can be a real hassle, as well as rack up the costs on your wallet quicker than you would probably like.
And that’s not even mentioning how much effort it can be to set up a real wood fire pit, and how difficult it can be to control if the flames get if they grow too big.
We haven’t even touched on how some states or camping sites might not even let you bring firewood for a fire pit.
For all these reasons, plus plenty more, many people are instead turning to a portable propane fire pit as their pit of choice while camping.
But which are the best? What if you’re camping alone, or if you’re part of a big outing? Are there fire pits that are better suited to each situation?
Well, that is what we are here to discuss!
In this guide, we are going to show you some of the best propane-powered fire pits that money can get you today.
Not only that, but we are also going to cover why propane fire pits are so great, as well as some of the details that you should keep in mind when looking for when buying one of these state-of-the-art camping tools for your trip.
Starting off our list nice and hot with a premium fire pit, we have the Outland Living Firebowl, one of the go-to options when it comes to premium fire pits that can fill pretty much any cooking or camping situation.
Like with many other kinds of propane fire pits, this pit doesn’t have to worry about those pesky cinders and ashes that can make managing a traditional fire pit a hassle, by replacing wood with a clean propane flame instead.
Don’t worry though: The substitute decoration of lava rocks will give you that same, comforting warmth that you get from looking at a classic wood fire pit.
Of course, this fire pit has more to offer than just a simple change in fuel. Thanks to its compact design, this fire pit is also incredibly easy to transport and move around by yourself.
You’ll be able to pull this nifty little tool out on your own for the perfect surprise camp-out grill!
It manages to be collapsible and liftable, whilst being up to Outland’s high standard of quality too.
With top-notch steel making up the main frame and body of this portable pit, it will also be able to stand up to plenty of punishment that the outdoors might try and throw at it.
So, if you are looking for an amazing all-around firepit that is sure to serve you nicely, both metaphorically and literally, then you can do a lot worse than the Firebowl 893 Deluxe.
- Weighing less than 25lbs, this is the perfect weight for carrying.
- It burns hot and stays hot while you are using it.
- Comes with all the extras that you need to manage it, from a 10-foot hose for your propane, to natural lava rock designs to a chrome regulator for intensity control.
- Durable quality is built to take punishment and built to last.
- Perfectly straddles the line for pricing, ease of use, size, and many other factors. An excellent all-rounder.
- Whilst this fire pit comes with plenty of extras, it doesn’t include a carrying case. You’ll have to find one of those for this pit for yourself.
Also Available From: Outland Living
- Product 1: ✓ PERFECT NO MESS CAMPFIRE: Say goodbye to dirty ash, expensive firewood, and bothersome smoke and enjoy a clean realistic propane campfire. The perfect outdoor centerpiece for camping trips, RV travels, tailgating get-togethers, beach parties, and family evenings on the backyard patio.
- Product 1: ✓ COMPACT AND EASY TO TRANSPORT: Travel size fire pit is lightweight and portable; easily set up in minutes with no tools required. All weather fire bowl delivers a clean and smokeless flame with cozy warmth and beautiful evening ambiance. Measures L 19” x W 19” x H 11” with total output of 58,000 BTU/HR. Max Gas Supply Pressure: 250 PSI
- Product 1: ✓ BEAT THE CAMPFIRE BAN: CSA approved fire pit is safe to use during most campfire bans; always check with the current fire restrictions in your area. Spark free propane campfire helps protect campgrounds and forested areas with a safer easy-to-use fire option.
- Product 1: ✓ COMPLETE FIRE PIT KIT: Includes Cover & Carry Kit, pre-attached 10-Ft hose to keep your standard 20-Lb propane tank cylinder (not included) safely out of sight, fully adjustable regulator with chrome valve knob for varying flame height, and 4.4-Lb natural lava rock set designed to enhance flickering effect. Optional accessories of CSA approved Natural Gas Conversion Kit 780 and Standard Carry Bag 760 available separately.
- Product 2: The ultimate protection and support for your sewer hose: The 20ft Sidewinder RV Sewer Hose Support by Camco lifts and cradles your sewer hose while in connection from your RV to the dump station. It keeps your sewer hose off the ground and prevents potential damage or punctures to your RV or camper sewer hose by safely nesting it in heavy duty plastic
For another excellent option that you may want to consider when buying a fire pit, then you should take a look at Camp Chef’s entry into this competitive market.
With a 19-inch wide circular pit, this is perfect for getting tons of grilling taken care of in a single sitting.
And with a more than etiquette 55,000 BTUs per hour, there’s plenty of heat to get your grilling done, and to keep you warm for ages afterward!
The lava rocks that you’ll see as part of the fire pit aren’t just there for decoration either, as they help better distribute the heat that you do have for maximum efficiency.
You don’t have to stick with propane, either. With the right adjustments, this fire pit will also be a very effective natural gas pit for you, a great adjustable feature for places where propane is a little thin on the ground.
Plus, there are all the extra little entails that this fire pit has to offer, from the extra spit roast picks and carrying case, to the little decorative pine patterns that dot the edge of the fire pit, they help add a little character that lets you know that this is a certified Camp Chef design.
So, if you are looking for a fire pit that is great for grilling and outdoor cooking, you should consider this fire pit as one of your front-runners
- This fire pit comes with a bag for it, making it great for transporting.
- The 19-inch fire pit is great for both warming up and cooking whilst you are out camping.
- This fire pit also comes with two extendable roast sticks. Great for hot dogs and s’more alike!
- This fire pit also allows for great control over its flames, thanks to its adjustable heat-control lever.
- The fire pit, whilst more than hot enough to handle any cooking or heating needs, is a little lacking when compared to other fire pits of a similar price range.
Also Available From: Tractor Supply
- 55,000 BTU burner for use with bulk propane tanks
- Flame adjustment heat-control lever
- Lava rock included to disperse heat
- Includes 2 extendable roasting sticks for s'mores, hotdogs, and more
- Carry bag included for easy storage and transport
For the next entry on this list, we turn back to Outland’s extensive range of fire pits, this time for their 823 portable models.
As with the last few entries we have covered on this list, the lack of any wood needed, or any other accessories to start this propane pit gives it a ton of easy accessibility options over your traditional firewood fire pit.
Not only that, but with a weight of only 22lbs, this is a fire pit that is easy to hold and manage, as well as nice and light to carry, making it great for putting in the back of your truck, and bringing to wherever you might be camping.
Plus, like many other excellent camping tools from Outland, it is built with sturdiness and durability in mind. The high-grade steel is perfect for handling whatever your camping experience can throw at it.
So if you are looking for a good all-rounder fire pit that can handle you and your group’s camping shenanigans, this is the fire pit for you!
- This fire pit has a nice large size for its flame spread and heat.
- Coming with a 10-foot hose for a gas tank, as well as added lava rocks, there is a nice supply of extras with this purchase.
- This CSA-approved fire pit is perfect for those places where firewood fire pits are a no-go.
- Like with the 893 models, this fire pit and carrying case are sold as separate items, adding to the overall price when it comes to getting them both.
Also Available From: Outland Living
- Perfect No-Mess Campfire: With our fire pit, say goodbye to dirty ash, expensive firewood, and bothersome smoke and enjoy a clean, realistic propane fire pit for outside. The perfect outdoor fireplace for camping trips, RV travels, tailgating get-togethers, beach parties, and family evenings on the backyard patio.
- Compact and Easy to Transport: Travel-size fire pit is lightweight and portable. Easily set up in minutes with no tools required. All-weather fire bowl, outdoor fire pits delivers a clean and smokeless flame with cozy warmth and beautiful evening ambiance. Measures L 19” X W 19” X H 11” with total output of 58,000 Btu/hr. Propane Fire Pit Max Gas Supply Pressure: 250 PSI.
- Beat the Campfire Ban: CSA approved fire pit is safe to use during most campfire bans. Always check with the current fire restrictions in your area. Spark-free propane campfire helps protect campgrounds and forested areas with a safer, easy-to-use fire option. No assembly required.
- Complete Fire Pit Kit: Includes pre-attached 10-ft hose to keep your standard 20-lb propane tank cylinder (not included) safely out of sight, fully adjustable regulator with chrome valve knob for varying flame height, and 4.4-lb natural lava rock set designed to enhance flickering effect. Optional accessories (not included) of CSA approved natural gas conversion kit 780, cover & carry kit 730, and standard carry bag 760 available separately.
- Signature Outland Living Quality: Durable high-quality steel construction with protective enamel finish for dependable longevity; superior stainless steel burner and fasteners. Outland Living has outdoor living perfected so you can create the perfect ambiance to share stories and good times. Make new memories with family and friends, in comfort and style anywhere outdoors, with the Outland Firebowl Propane Fire Pit.
It is easy to source yourself a medium or larger fire pit these days. Given that camping is as much a communal event as it is an outdoors getaway, this isn’t surprising, or even a bad thing necessarily.
But what do you do if you only need a propane fire pit for one or two people, and you don’t want to spend a lot of money or space on a larger model?
Well, if this sounds like your case, you should consider Camco’s Little Red Campfire, the perfect miniature fire pit for people who are camping alone or in small groups, or want a spare tailgating cooking, and grilling mini-pit.
Thanks to its small size, this fire pit is very easy to move around and transport, especially when it is paired with the excellently designed security latch this fire pit comes with.
Not only is this a nice and compact fire pit, but it is powerful too! With a maximum output that reaches 65,000 BTU per hour, this is an ideal little pit for both keeping warm and cooking a grill out on it too.
This little piece of kit can do both for you!
So, if you are looking for a fire pit that is on the slightly smaller size for smaller and cozier camp-outs, the Little red Campfire should be one of the top items on your priority list.
- High BTU means that this fire pit will get hot quickly, and stay hot for long!
- The fire pit also comes with an 8-foot hose for connecting to a distant propane tank.
- The small size also makes this product perfect for transporting on your own, or with a little help from one person.
- Some users have reported a hissing noise when the propane is one at higher temperatures, which may get frustrating after a while
Also Available From: Home Depot
- PORTABLE CAMPFIRE PIT: Portable propane campfire pit with 11.25-inch fire tray diameter and maximum BTU output of 65,000 BTU/HR
- INCLUDES PROPANE HOSE: Includes 8-foot propane hose for connecting fire pit to standard LP gas cylinder for maximum convenience
- MAXIMUM SAFETY: Adjustable regulator maintains input of gas pressure for maximum safety and control of the fire pit
- NATURAL AMBIANCE: Realistic log piece and 9.5-inch diameter ring burner provide natural ambiance and heat output
- EASY TRANSPORT: Sturdy lid with security latch makes for safe and easy transport when it's time to pack up
Of course, there are times when you do want a fire pit for two. But on other occasions, you need a fire pit that can comfortably fit a big crowd.
If you find yourself in the latter situation more, then you should consider taking a look at the Flame King Outdoor Portable Fire Pit.
This is the perfect solution if you are someone who enjoys a great big fire pit with yourself and your friends and family but wants to move to propane fire pits, with their easier-to-control functions, and there are fewer restrictions on their use when compared to traditional fire pits.
This pit is incredibly easy to set up for anyone, making a perfect piece of equipment to use for practically anyone to get a hold of and manage for the first time.
And thanks to the self-igniting piezo system that this fire pit has as standard, it is also one of the easiest to turn on as well!
And once you factor in the extra bells and whistles that come as standard with this kit, you’ll be all set to go camping from the moment you buy it (so long as you don’t forget to buy the separately sold propane tank, of course)!
This is an excellent fire pit for newcomers to learn about these products, so definitely consider if you are used to traditional wood or fire pits as a whole.
- A large 19-inch fire pit diameter means that it has a wide surface for both cooking and heating whilst you are camping.
- Comes with all the extras that you might need, from an adjustable flame dial to a fabric strap handle for easy transport, and a weather-resistant cover too.
- At only 18lbs, this might be one of the lightest propane fire pits around!
- Some customers have reported that there might not be enough rocks for the pit.
Also Available From: Walmart
- PERFECT NO MESS CAMPFIRE: Forget about dirty ashes and expensive firewood and enjoy a clean and smokeless fire in your backyard, beach, or lake, tailgates, camping trips, and more
- 19-INCH PORTABLE FIRE PIT BOWL with a heat output of 58,000 BTUs; comes with a 10-ft hose with a regulator to easily connect with your standard BBQ propane tank
- CONVENIENT & EASY TO SET-UP & TRANSPORT: Easy assembly, no tools required; comes with UV & weather resistant cover, fabric strap handle for easy and comfortable transport, and propane tank stabilizer ring to keep the tank from falling while fire bowl is in use.
- SELF-IGNITING (AUTO IGNITION) - No need to purchase a lighter; this fire pit comes with a self-igniting piezo system
- NATURAL LAVA ROCKS enhance the flickering effect of your flame; flame can be adjusted with the chrome valve knob
Here is a comprehensive list of all the details you should keep in mind when looking for a propane fire pit of your own.
As we have already mentioned a few times on this list, there are a few main functions that you can expect a good fire pit to cover.
Many people will either be using a fire pit to be able to cook a grill out for their party whilst they are camping.
Alternatively, people will be using fir pits as a way to heat up when the temperature gets cold, either in the evening or during the colder months.
Many fire pits will cover both of these needs, but some do specialize in one or the other, so it is useful to keep them in mind.
Weight & Size
When it comes to discussing whether a fire pit is easily transportable, the main factors you’ll need to consider are its weight and size.
Having a larger fire pit will make both heatings and cooking a much easier task, especially for a larger group. However, you will also run the risk of making it more difficult to transport.
There are even some models that can be bought online that are almost impossible to move by a single person, weighing over 30lbs in some cases. These are not ideal for camping on the move.
By the same token, a fire pit that is lighter and smaller will not be as useful for cooking, especially for multiple people, but will also be much lighter and easier to carry around.
The heat that propane fire pits generate is measured by BTU or British Thermal Units.
Unsurprisingly, a higher amount of maximum BTU that a propane tank can release will allow your fire pit to heat up quicker and hotter than others.
The minimum for a functional propane tank is usually around 50,000 BTU per hour, and many models go up to 65,000 BTU.
However, it may also be worth keeping in mind that a higher BTU may be eating into your propane tank supplies much quicker than you might like.
When shopping for yourself, consider finding a balance between high BTU and efficiency.
Most propane fire pits will be made from stainless steel, which will allow it to easily conduct and retain heat once the flame is lit on your propane fire pit
(As a safety precaution, always make sure that you are using a fire pit with heat-resistant gloves, as it can be very easy to burn yourself when your skin comes in contact with the metal frame.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should I Use A Propane Fire Pit Over A Traditional Wood Fire Pit?
As we established in the introduction, a classic wooden fire pit can be an excellent tool to have when camping.
However, we also mentioned the extra tools that you will need for supplying it, such as the firewood needed to keep it burning and the lighter fuel or material to get it started.
Also keep in mind that some states will now prohibit any unauthorized use of a wood fire pit, especially in places where wildfires are common and easy to start.
Can Propane Fire Pits Be Supplied With Natural Gas?
Some can be fitted to use natural gas, but you should bring your fire pit to a qualified gas professional to do this.
There are plenty of propane-powered fire pits out there. Now all you need to do is pick one for yourself!