Nothing ruins dinner on your patio like having to pile on coats and blankets just to keep warm.
Rather than cutting the evening or the conversation short, you can warm up your patio or outdoor living area with an infrared heater.
However, there are many different infrared heaters on the market that all offer different benefits and strengths.
With this review and handy buyer’s guide, we will help you make the best choice of heater for your needs and space.
Why Buy An Infrared Heater?
One of the first questions you might consider when looking at infrared heaters is, why would I want one?
Everyone loves to spend a summer evening with their friends and family on your deck, enjoying the sunset and the evening warmth.
However, when the sun has set, the heat can disappear quickly, and we can find ourselves heading inside before we want to. With an infrared heater, you don’t need to worry about it getting cold.
Also, you can enjoy your outside space all year round when you have a heater to provide the warmth you need to make it more comfortable. Extending your deck season into the fall and spring. Meaning more time on your favourite room in your home, your deck.
An infrared heater can also be a preferential choice over other heaters that can be fueled by gas or gel fuels due to cost and safety.
Infrared has an advantage over other patio heaters in that the heat translates directly to the skin. Rather than trying to warm all the air on your deck, it warms you. The whole reason for a deck heater.
It can also be easier to control the intensity of the heat than other types of heaters and fire pits.
Types Of Infrared Heater
Even though all infrared heaters provide heat in the same way, the style of the heater can play a big part in how the heat is dispersed throughout an outdoor area.
When deciding on an infrared heater, it is important to consider the size of the area that you are heating, as well as the layout of the seating to ensure that everyone will benefit from the heat no matter where they are seated.
These heaters are fairly self-explanatory and are the easiest to install in any outdoor living space. Floor heaters simply need to be placed in your desired area and plugged in.
They often provide ample amounts of heat, especially in a smaller area, and they are sturdy and stable.
One of the best things about freestanding floor heaters is that they take up very little room, making them easy to store when they are not in use.
It is also possible to have a floor heater that is raised up, much like a floor lamp.
These heaters can be slightly less stable than regular floor heaters but can provide heat from a higher angle that can bypass furniture and other obstructions, allowing for a more even coverage of heat in your seating area.
These types of infrared heaters require a ceiling or covering of some sort in order for them to be installed. A deck pergola is a natural fit here. The heater fits nicely and securely among the rafters. Providing comfort, without taking up room on the deck.
These heaters are suspended from the ceiling and hang above the heating area, projecting their heat downward.
Suspended heaters are often smaller than freestanding floor heaters and therefore do not provide the same amount of heat. However, they are more than adequate for smaller areas or warmer climates.
They are also a great option for inside areas such as conservatories or covered patio areas that do not get as cold as uncovered, outside areas.
One of the most stylish types of infrared heater is the parasol style.
These heaters come attached to a parasol, as the name suggests, that does a great job of keeping the heat contained which is a benefit when it is used in an open area.
It also does a great job of bringing style as well as heat to your outdoor space and allows the benefit of two deck accessories in one.
A parasol-style heater is a great option for you if you have a limited amount of space on your deck and don’t want to clutter it.
Wall Mounted Heaters
Wall-mounted heaters require a little bit more installation than some of the other types of infrared heaters.
To use a wall-mounted heater you will need to have an appropriate area of wall on which to mount the heater. With an attached deck, the house wall is the most obvious choice.
Some wall-mounted heaters can be installed yourself, but for extra peace of mind, you can have them installed by professionals.
It is also possible to have a wall-mounted heater hard-wired into your house so that you can turn it on and off from a mains switch with your outdoor lighting.
KEY TEK Wall-Mounted Patio Heater
The Key Tek wall-mounted patio heater is a waterproof, tubular infrared heater.
This heater comes with a remote control to make it easier to create the perfect temperature while you socialize and entertain outside.
The remote control can change the heat intensity by three levels giving you a range of temperatures to work with without having to get up from your seat or interrupt the conversation.
This heater can be angled from 0 degrees to 90 degrees to target the heat perfectly in the desired area.
The Key Tek infrared heater features advanced infrared technology that allows you to experience high levels of heat in a very short period of time.
It is also an ecological product that can provide extended periods of heating in colder climates or months.
- Remote control
- Various heat settings
- Advanced infrared technology
- The remote is required for it to work
- FAST HEATING: Patio heater has high heating efficiency and fast heating speed with advanced infrared technology. It has a high power of 1500w and can provide rapid and efficient heating for indoor or outdoor which needs constant heat in the winter.
- CONVENIENT ASSEMBLING: wall-mounted heater package includes mounting hardware which makes it easy to install or relocate, especially with installation video. And it can adjust the mounting angle from 0℃-90℃.
- 3 HEATING MODES: This heater has 3 working gears (500W/1000W/1500W). You can adjust to a comfortable temperature as needed to dissipate the cold around you.
- EASY OPERATION: electric heater has a switch on the right side. Open when shows yellow light and close when shows red. Meanwhile, the outdoor heater with smart remote control offers great convenience and highly improves your life quality.
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY: there are no replaceable parts inside the heater, so when your product has any quality problems, we will provide you with a brand new product.
I know we only reviewed one patio heater, but this is my number one pick for infrared deck heaters for two reasons.
It comes with brackets to be installed on a wall near your deck. Freeing up your deck. But conveniently can be plugged in. No need to hire an electrician to use this heater.
Secondly, is the convenient remote. Sit down on your lounger and enjoy the setting sun, bumping up or lowering the heat as required without having to get up.
But this might not be for everyone thus why I included some other great deck heating options.
WARMLREC Electric Patio Heater
The Warmlrec electric patio heater is a freestanding tubular designed infrared heater.
The sleek design of this heater means that it easily fits into almost any outdoor space, providing impressive amounts of heat while remaining inconspicuous.
The golden tube of the heater allows it to heat up any space in a short period of time.
The Warmlrec heater also comes with multiple safety features that can help put your mind at ease when you are using the product.
The first safety feature is the anti-tip technology, this design feature means that even if the heater gets knocked, it is designed to remain upright and regain its center of balance.
This is a really important feature if you have children or animals around the heater.
Another great safety feature of the heater is its timer feature. You can set the heater to turn off after a specified amount of time up to 24 hours so you don’t have to worry about whether you left the heater on or not.
- Anti-tip technology
- Auto-off timer
- Fast heat production
- Space-saving design
- Power button is easy to turn on by accident if it is plugged in
- 🌞ADVANCED INFRARED TECHNOLOGY:Infrared electric heater directly transfers the heat to the body in the form of radiation.Fast heating and never wait, you can easily get a warm and comfortable space with this electric heater.Golden tube design can reach up to 5100 BTUs. Brings strong heat efficiency instantly and provides slient warm area.
- 🌞3 HEAT SETTINGS:There are three setting modes of P1: 500W, P2: 1000W, P3: 1500W to meet your different needs.Open the top power switch and then control the heat and timing by touching the panel or remote control.
- 🌞24H TIMER FUNCTION:This infrared heater has 24h timer auto shut off.Timer range:1-24 hours. Complete the timing shutdown setting and you will not worry about the energy waste and potential safety hazards caused by the infrared heater not being turned off.
- 🌞SAFEY PROTECTION:When overheated or tipped over the heater will automatically shut down to provide you double protection.
- 🌞INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE:The heater can keep you warm during the cold winte.It's great for outdoor space such as patio, courtyard,outdoor cafes, restaurants, and you can also put it indoors such as your living room.
Nertpow Tripod Electric Infrared Heater
The Nertpow tripod heater is an infrared heater that features advanced gold tube infrared technology.
This means that it is capable of providing an instant, comfortable level of heat that is designed to mimic the warmth of the sun on a summer’s day.
This allows you to bask in a warmth that is not too intense no matter the size of your outdoor area.
The tripod design of this heater means that you can adjust the height of the heating element depending on your needs.
It also comes with a remote control that allows you to adjust the heat with two different settings.
It also comes with great safety features such as tip-over technology that automatically turns the heater off in the case of accidental tipping over of the heater.
The other safety feature is over-heat protection which turns the heater off when it exceeds a certain heat threshold, significantly reducing the fire risk of the heater.
- Tip-over technology
- Over-heat technology
- Adjustable height
- Adjustable heat
- Limited heat settings
- 【Fast Heating & Quiet Working】 Advanced gold tube infrared technology can quickly tube in a few seconds.The heater produces instant and comfortable heat like the sun. In comparison to the traditional heaters, it saves 30%-40% of electricity, and also, it works much more quiet, the gentle sound won't annoy you at all. They're great for noise-sensitive environments such as library and bedrooms.
- 【Easy Operation & 2 Heat Setting】The heater has a swich on the right side, you could operate it manually. Simply press the button and adjust the heat mode. It also comes with a remote control so you can control the power, heat level from anywhere in the room or outdoor space.This heater has 2 heat level setting: I-750W, II-1500W. You could set the ideal level as you wish.
- 【Tip-over & Over-heat Protection】If the heater knocked down or blown over,with the help of tip-over protection, the heater will turn off itself automatically. This infared heater is also set up with overheat protection function. When overheated, the power will be automatically cut off, providing you with the best protection.This will greatly reduce fire hazards.
- 【Weatherproof & Multiple Installation Options】The heater is a IP55 weatherproof unit, it can be used in rainy or snow days.You could not only set up it for indoor use, but also can put it ourtdoors.This heater comes with an triopd stand and all accessory parts for wall/ceiling mounting.This heater can be mounted horizontally and the angle can be adjusted 45-80 degree(up and down) for you to set an ideal warm range.
- 【Worried-Free Purchase & Customer Care】Our infrared patio heater has a perfect quality guarantee and superb after-sales service. For future use,please keep the user manual, and if you have any problems, please contact us freely. We'll reply you in 12 hours to offer help or arrange replacement for refund for you properly.
Paraheeter Hanging Patio Heater
The Paraheeter hanging patio heater is the first heater on this list that is a hanging design.
This heater is a great option if you have a canopied patio area or need to heat a conservatory room. This heater can only be used in an area that has a structure (Pergola) from which it can be safely hung.
The Paraheeter has a convenient rope switch to turn it on and off meaning that it can be hung at a relatively high height and still be easy to turn on and off.
The Paraheeter patio heater has a lifespan of up to 5000 hours and it can also be used for an extended period of time in the rain due to its extensive waterproofing.
This makes it a great all-around product for a patio seating area that can be left outside all year round.
This heater also features over-heating technology which allows it to automatically turn off when it exceeds a heat threshold.
- The hanging design doesn’t take up floor space
- Instant heat to your seating area
- Long lifespan
- Safety features
- Requires installation
Dr. Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared
The Dr. Infrared heater DR-238 is a heater that has been approved for both indoor and outdoor use, making it very versatile.
The heater can be mounted on either a wall or a ceiling depending on the area that you want to heat.
It also features three different heat settings that are controlled by remote control so that you don’t have to get close to the heater in order to adjust the heat.
This heater also features an aluminum mirror reflector that helps to ensure that all of the heat generated is directed toward your seating area using as little energy as possible.
The heater is also weatherproof, allowing for the product to be used all year round.
- Weatherproofed for year-round use
- Aluminum reflector
- Three levels of heat
- Not good for large areas
- INDOOR and OUTDOOR HEATER - Heater is IP55 approved for both indoor and outdoor use - perfect for home, backyard, garages, open-air restaurant, outdoor patio or deck. Create a comfortable environment for both your indoor activities and outdoor recreation.
- CLEAN and INSTANT HEAT - Clean, instant and odorless Infrared heat with 3 power settings, 900W, 1200W, 1500W. 120V, 60Hz.
- PLUG and GO - uses standard 120V, remote controlled
- WALL and CEILING MOUNTED - Included wall and Ceiling mounting bracket
- EFFICIENT - High level Mirror aluminum reflector with 90% reflectivity, and special design to fit the carbon lamp to bring strong heating efficiency. Made with durable and weather proof aluminum, ETL Listed.
JIYU Outdoor Electric Heater
The JIYU outdoor electric heater uses carbon fibre heating tubes that can provide sufficient heat in as little as 3 seconds.
It also features three different heat settings so that you can choose the level of intensity for the area you are heating and the current climate.
There is also an automatic switch-off timer that can be set to give you added peace of mind that you haven’t left the heater on indefinitely.
The JIYU heater is a wall-mounted infrared heater that is easy to install yourself and can be angled and adjusted to heat the specific area that you want at any given time.
It can also be used to help dry clothes faster if a clothesline is close enough. However, it is important to remember to keep the clothes from touching the heater or getting too hot.
- Fast heat-up time
- Automatic shut-off timer
- Adjustable angle
- Not suitable for larger areas
- [Advanced Infrared Technology - Fast Heating] - Outdoor patio heaters use carbon fiber heating tubes that provide sufficient heat quickly in 3 seconds. High heat conversion, 95% of electricity can be converted into heat, low energy consumption, power saving 40%-60%, high thrust and 100% low noise, all of which are advantages of carbon fiber tubes that are the best choice to fight the cold.
- [Multiple Uses] - Patio electric heater will direct the heat to human body, non-drying, skin-care, warm companionship. The radiated heat keeps blasting at us even in a slight breeze, so it will extend our outdoor season! Moreover, in the cold winter, the direct heat of the electronic heater can help us dry wet clothes and help our favorite pets keep warm. The application is very wide, it is worth having!
- [3 Heat Setting & Timing ] - Outdoor Heater has 3 levels heat settings for 500W, 1000W, and 1500W. So you can choose an ideal level depending on your preferences, Meanwhile. The heater with a 24-hour timer can be set auto shut off before going to sleep and stay in a welcoming and comfortable warmth all night.
- [Easy To Install & Remote Control] - The wall mounted patio heater comes with 4 mounting brackets, fasteners, and instructions for quick and easy installation. This patio heater can tilt up or down to angle toward you, and you can also control it remotely using the remote control, which is easy and friendly.
- [ETL Certification & Safe Security] - The ceiling mount heater has an overheat protection function. When the temperature is too high, the infrared heater will automatically shut down to protect your safety. The high tensile aluminium material is equipped with high temperature resistance, corrosion resistance, ETL certification and IP65 protection, the quality can be guaranteed, you can use it with confidence.
TRUSTECH Patio Heater
The Trustech patio heater is a freestanding infrared heater that features an adjustable angled head that allows you to change the direction of the heat to make your seating areas as comfortable as possible.
This heater boasts a warm-up time of as little as three seconds and features three different heating modes that allow you to set the intensity of the heat to suit you.
The tall heater has multiple safety features to help keep you and your family safe while using the appliance.
It features the common tip-over technology that causes the heater to turn off when it has been knocked over.
It also has the ability to turn itself off if it begins to overheat which provides great peace of mind in your home.
The Trustech patio heater is height adjustable making it more versatile in its positioning and allowing you to position it in such a way that it is not obstructing your guests or family.
- Height adjustable
- Instant heat
- Safety features
- Slightly more unstable design
- 3 Seconds Rapid Heating - This patio heater adopts advanced carbon infrared heating technology. Built-in 3 halogen tubes as heating elements, the infrared heater can achieve rapid heating in 3 seconds. Compared with traditional outdoor heaters for patio electric only, our heater outdoor patio is more environmentally friendly and does not produce greenhouse gases, which can save you 30%-40% of electricity bills
- 3 Heating Modes & Flexible Adjustment - With 3 power levels of 500/1000/1500W, you can choose your ideal temperature through this outdoor electric heater. The outdoor heater is equipped with a retractable pole that can be adjusted from 5.9' to 6.6' in height. And The heater element on this space heater can be rotated up and down 45° to meet your different needs. Moreover, the timer function of our patio heater will automatically schedule the time to give you a good sleep
- Easy Assembling & Simple Operation - This electric patio heater only needs to be partially assembled. The heating process of the outdoor electric infrared heater only takes 5 minutes, which allow you to quickly get warm in a cold winter. It's also very convenient to use our electric outdoor heater. The switch and heating mode of the infrared patio heater can be easily controlled by a long pull switch. You will get warm everywhere and anytime in the most convenient way with our outdoor heater
- Safety protection - This electric patio heater pass ETL, CE, and IP34 certification. The outdoor heater covers the heating element to prevent pets or children from getting hurt when they accidentally touch the surface of the infrared heater. What's more, the infrared patio heater has a stable circular base to avoid tipping over. Even if it is dumped, it will automatically cut off the power. The overheat protection feature of this heater can also effectively protect your electrical safety
- Perfect for Indoors and Outdoors - The outdoor patio heater is made of high-quality metal and plastic materials with powder coating. This patio heater has an IP34 dustproof and waterproof rating, which is suitable for outdoors like garage, backyard, and gardon. Besides, the electric patio heater never outputs carbon dioxide, smoke, or dust, so these outdoor infrared heaters are also suitable for indoor use
DONYER POWER 1500W Electrical Patio Heater
The Donyer power 1500W electrical patio heater is another suspended heater that needs to be installed into a ceiling or roof structure to be used. Again, great for a pergola.
This heater is also turned on and off through the use of a rope switch that allows you to turn the heater off without getting too close to the heating element.
The Donyer Power heater is also suitable for use in any weather conditions including rain and snow, allowing you to make use of your outside space comfortably throughout the year, no matter how cold or wet the weather gets.
It has also been certified for use inside the home, making it a great addition to your conservatory or sunroom as well as your patio.
- Lightweight hanging design
- Fast heat up time
- Suitable for use in all weathers
- Suitable for use indoors
- Better suited to smaller open areas
- ※ Real Fast：Rapid Heating get warm in 3 seconds.
- ※ 2 Heating Modes ：① 600W low heating; ② 1500W high heating
- ※ Parameters：ΦA=42CM,2KGS,110-130V,50Hz,1500W, Heating scope: 65sq ft
- ※ Easy for installation：1m adjustable chain can disassemble and adjust the distance at any time and the most appropriate height for hanging is 70.9in to prevent children and pets from touching
- ※ For indoor and outdoor activities：Can be installed on indoor and outdoor ceilings, such as living room, garden, balcony, outdoor terrace and camping BBQ area；with ETL/CE/GS/LVD/EMC/IP24 certificate
Trustech Space Heater Infrared Heater
The Trustech space heater is an upright floor heater that would make a great addition to your patio area or indoor space.
The heater comes with a remote control that enables you to adjust the temperature of the heater through three different heat intensities to ensure that you and your family remain comfortably warm on colder evenings.
The carbon fibre gold-coated tubes help the heater to provide an intense level of warmth throughout the seating area of your yard.
Standing at over 31 inches, this heater is better suited for larger areas that require more power and more heat when it gets cold.
Despite this intense level of heat production, it is certified for safe usage inside your home as well as outside.
The heater features a 24-hour timer that allows you to set an automatic timer to turn the heater off to give you added peace of mind.
- Large heater for large space
- Various heat settings
- Remote control
- Safety timer
- May be overpowering in smaller spaces
- 【Wide Heating for Large Space】 Compared with other electric heaters for indoor use, The Space Heater are 31.7 inches high, so the electric heater can heat a 500sq.ft larger space. With carbon fiber gold-coated tubes, this space heater is both an indoor for living room and outdoor heater for patio, having high accuracy of heating, delivering heat directly to people, and creating a comfortable and warm zone, and you can even use the room heater as a garage heater.
- 【3 Second Heat & 3 Heat Settings】Space heaters for indoor use can provide instant and efficient warmth within 3 seconds. Heating up in seconds brings instant and focused heat. The heater for bedroom has 3-level heat settings: 500/1000/1500W modes. Just choose an ideal level according to your needs. Trustech patio heater is beneficial to your health in boosting metabolisms, such as alleviating the symptoms of Rheumatology, Arthritis, and fatigue.
- 【Advanced Infrared Tech & Overheat Protection】Our portable space heaters for indoor use are made under strict standards, enjoying an ETL certificate. Compared with other space heaters for indoor use or outdoor patio heater for a large space that make heated air and transfer it to the human body, the electric heater saves 40%-60% electricity on a large scale. Higher efficiency and precision heating ensure energy conservation. When it is overheated, the power will cut off automatically, providing the best protection.
- 【Remote Control & 24 Hrs Timing】Trustech indoor space heater with remote control. You can easily choose different heating power without leaving your sofa or bed. The heaters for indoor use large room emitting soft amber glow enables you to enjoy warm heat. Besides, those space heaters for indoor use are super quiet when working to accompany you to sweet sleep. With a 24H timer, you could set auto shut off before going to sleep and stay in a comfortable warmth and quiet environment all night.
- 【Perfect for Indoor & Outdoor Use】The high-level power of infrared heaters for indoor use in a large room make you feel warm in your large garage during cold winter since it is a garage heater. The infrared heater can be used as a space heater for bedroom. Besides, It is a perfect outdoor heater, suitable for studio porch, balconies, backyards...Just place the radiator heater to where you want and enjoy the warmth. Please remove the black pearl cotton of the outdoor heaters for patio before use.
When we’re looking for a patio heater, there are a few things that are important to consider aside from simply the way a heater looks. Our handy buyer’s guide will help you know what to look for.
It is important to work out which style of heater is best for your outside area. If your patio is open and does not have a canopy of any kind, a suspended heater will not be a good choice.
Similarly, if your seating or patio area is far from a wall, a wall-mounted heater will not be the option for you. The direction that the heat is projected is also an important factor.
Some heaters such as the suspended heaters only have one constant heat setting due to their smaller size.
This can be fine if you just want a glow of warmth in a small area, however, if you have a larger area or want to be able to adjust your heater, one with multiple settings is what you want.
The safety features that come with your heater are an incredibly important factor, especially if you have pets or children in your household.
It also plays an important role in the protection of your house. The more safety features a heater has, the lower the risk of fire on your property.
Finally, size is something that should be considered before you purchase a heater. The size of the heater relevant to the size of the area you want heated should be thought about.
If a heater is too big it will be too intense and if it is too small it may not provide enough heat to make you comfortable.