Sitting out on your deck, the birds singing in the background, a cool refreshing breeze cooling you down from a busy, hot day. Yes, this is your oasis.
But sometimes that cooling breeze just doesn’t blow. And your patio is just hot.
Mother nature just needs a little help to return the attraction of being outdoors.
A little something to increase your comfort while being outside.
- 1 Outdoor Fans
- 2 History
- 3 Our Deck and Patio Fan Picks
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Final Thoughts
Outdoor patio fans are one such item that allows you to relax on your patio, porch, or yard while remaining cool and comfortable in even the hottest weather.
As an added bonus, the moving air blows mosquitos off your deck or patio. Giving you relief from both the heat and those biting bloodsuckers.
With a variety of different styles, being tasteful and attractive for outdoor use. Some now have the added convenience of achieving comfort and class without having unsightly cords running around your deck. Enhancing the look and the mood of your evening.
The first examples of what we would call an electrical fan were developed in the 1880s, American electrical engineer Schuyler Wheeler, who developed patents for the electric-powered ceiling fan.
But fans have come a long way. Now there are portable, some even come with misters and can be enjoyed outdoors.
Our Deck and Patio Fan Picks
Now that we have thought a little about the key criteria we should be looking for, the next thing to do is to go out and purchase one for yourself.
However, even with these things in mind, the amount of choice on the market can still make it a daunting and difficult decision to make.
This is why we have compiled a list of the 5 best outdoor patio fans on the market, to hopefully help you in your decision.
So, without further ado, let’s get started!
In no particular order, the first item on our list is the standing fan from Yokekon.
Suitable for outdoor and indoor use, the Yokekon is battery powered, meaning there are no unsightly cords trailing around the house or patio, and the 360 degree adjustable head means that you can set it to suit any position or needs you may have.
The batteries are rechargeable, meaning you don’t have to spend money on frequent battery changes, and on a full charge you can expect to get 8 hours of running time, making it perfect for long days on the porch enjoying the summer sun.
As well as this, the Yokukan also comes with a power cord, meaning you can plug in while indoors to save the charge. Or keep the breeze going even when you forgot to charge the battery.
The fan itself has three degrees of oscillation, including a 0-90 degree vertical oscillation, a left to right 180 degree oscillation, and a 360 degree oscillation angle to ensure you and all of your guests are cool and comfortable.
The fan comes with a range of speeds, ranging from quiet and gentle, to stronger air pressure, making it incredibly versatile for a multitude of temperatures and weather types.
The design of the fan is modern and simplistic, made of hard-wearing plastic which is both waterproof and able to withstand any potential accidents that can happen around the home.
However, if things do go awry, the Yokukan comes with a 1-year warranty to ensure you can replace it if you are not satisfied.
- Good value for money.
- Adaptive and versatile.
- Wide range of oscillation.
- Wide variety of fan speeds.
- Rechargeable battery.
- Additional power cord.
- Long battery life from full charge.
- Assembly: Click 'check more videos' to see the assembly guide video.
- Battery Rechargeable Standing Fan for Both Home & Outdoor Needs: Whether you intend to throw a party in patios or simply want to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors with your kids, you'll certainly need a selection of outdoor battery powered pedestal fan. Cordless design makes it easy to use when travelling, up to 8-hours long-lasting runtime can meet your outdoor needs. And it can also be used with power code as a normal pedestal fan.
- 360° Degree Auto Oscillating Fan with Remote: This cordless pedestal fan can adjust three auto oscillation: 0-90° tilt vertical oscillation, left-right 180° oscillation and 360° oscillation angle to cover everyone. Pedestal fan with remote control makes it easy to operate. And the remote can be attached to the front cover of the fan. Don't worry about loss.
- Quiet & Soft to Strong Airflow: Brushless DC motor works smoothly with the 7 blades, bringing broad airflow while reducing working noise to as low as 13dB(wind speed level 1), and can adjust the wind speed in 15 levels from very soft to strong. The fan can bring comfortable airflow as soft as cool natural wind, a great fan for bedroom, whole house and home use.
- Great Air Flow Performance: Oscillating standing fan provide a cooling breeze not only outdoors but also in an office or the living room. Floor fan for home works in tandem with air conditioning to quickly spread cool air to the room with the 360° oscillation angle head.
Next on our list is the pedestal fan from DecoBreeze. Available in 8 styles and colours, including “Nautica”, “Catalonia”, “Coppertino”, “Ebony”, “Kailua”, “Prestigious”, “Providence”, and “Terra”, what the DecoBreeze offers is tasteful, classy designs for a reasonable price.
Made from rugged, sturdy brass, and mounted on a firm base that stops it from falling over or being knocked by pets and small children, what the DecoBreeze boasts more than anything else is quality and reliability.
Coated in UV-resistant, weatherproof paint, the DecoBreeze is perfect for salty sea air, moist tropical weather, or environments prone to changes in weather and temperature.
With an adjustable height and a wide range of oscillation, the DecoBreeze is the perfect addition to your yard furniture, allowing you to remain cool and comfortable, whilst looking stylish at the same time.
- Attractive, stylish design.
- UV resistant.
- Weather proof.
- Adjustable height.
- Wide oscillation range.
- 8 styles and colours.
- Reasonable price.
- Sturdy brass frame.
- Louder than similar models.
- Nautica model has a coastal outdoor style featuring a faux rope wrapping on the base with brass accents
- Adjustable pedestal height ranges from 40 inches to 51 inches H x 19 inches W x 16 inches D
- ETL ‘Wet Listed’ safety rating with GFCI plug
- Coated with UV resistant all weather paint
- Weighted base provides stability for windy conditions
Next on our list, this fan by Lasko feels right at home on a deck or a front porch.
With a subtle, attractive design, and a waterproof build making it perfect for outdoor use, this fan really does deliver the elegant living promised by its name.
Featuring 3 quiet, yet effective speed settings, the Lasko is perfect when trying to relax on an evening, and means you don’t have to listen to loud, mechanical sounds when you are trying to be comfortable.
The quiet oscillation also makes sure that everyone is catered for when trying to relax.
The fan comes with dimmable accent lighting, adding to the overall relaxing ambience the fan offers, and can be dimmed via a remote control.
The light is subtle enough not to attract bugs, whilst providing ambient lighting to help you and your guests relax and feel comfortable.
The sealed design, and weather resistant finish means that it won’t become damaged if the weather takes a turn for the worse, and the simple, no tools assembly means you aren’t wasting your valuable relaxation time on stressful instructions.
- Sturdy design.
- Attractive style.
- Quiet motion.
- Versatile speed settings.
- Weather resistant.
- Higher price tag.
- Narrower range of oscillation.
- 3 Quiet, Yet Effective Speeds - provide a cooling breeze without added noise. A weather resistant design makes this fan great for use on a patio, deck, porch, balcony, or anywhere else outside around the home.
- Dimmable Accent Lighting - enhances night time comfort and safety. The subtle lighting is perfect for around a patio table or other furniture and will not attract bugs. The lights are easily dimmed using the wireless remote control or button on the fan.
- Wireless Remote Control - gives you the ability to adjust the fan from a distance, perfect for when you're entertaining. The 3 button remote allows you to adjust the fan speed, turn oscillation on or off, and control the accent lighting.
- Built for the Outdoors - with an in-line ground fault circuit interceptor (GCFI or GFI) this fan was designed to be used safely outdoors. Thanks to a sealed design and weather resistant finish this fan will withstand the elements of an outdoor environment.
- Simple No Tools Assembly - allows you to take the fan out of the box and assemble it in minutes. Simply assemble the base to the pedestal, and attach top and you're ready to enjoy a cooling breeze around the home.
Next on our list is the misting fan by NewAir.
With a simplistic design, incorporating dark metallic materials for sturdiness, the NewAir is a cleaner alternative to regular air conditioners, thanks to the clean air evaporation, which strays away from freon and other harsh chemicals used in standard air conditioners.
Boasting three fan speeds, quiet motion, and a wide range of oscillation, the NewAir means that everyone gets to stay cool, comfortable, and refreshed, be it on a quiet patio get-together, or a lively evening with friends and family.
The misting setting is perfect for cooling down in dry locales, lowering the temperature up to 15 degrees in the right circumstances. This can easily be set up by connecting the fan to the hose in no time at all.
With a limited warranty, and great customer service, what NewAir delivers is peace of mind and customer care, providing comfort for your mind and wallet, as well as your body.
- Reasonable price tag.
- Sturdy materials.
- Range of speeds.
- Wide range of oscillation.
- Misting function.
- Easy installation and use.
- Subtle, stylish design.
- Corded power only.
- Cord also quite short, limiting versatility.
- COOL MIST FAN - This misting cooling fan is perfect for chill summer patios, pool parties, and BBQs.Number of speeds:3
- FEATURES - With 3 fan speeds, wide-angle oscillation, and a slim design this mist fan has it all
- ECO-FRIENDLY - Instead of freon and other chemicals, get climate control that uses clean evaporation
- QUALITY - This personal misting fan is made with quality materials, to keep you comfy all day
- NEWAIR - With good quality products and excellent customer service, NewAir is a name you can trust
Last on our list, but by no means least, the standing floor fan by Designer Aire is made of sturdy stainless steel, and comes in a choice of colors, including copper and metallic.
With a telescopic neck that promotes adjustability (40″-51″), and a wide range of oscillation that means all events and group sizes are catered for and comfortable, the Designer Aire provides maximum cooling for a mid-range price.
Offering three incremental fan speeds of 900, 1100, and 1280 rotations per minute, the Designer Aire is also perfect for both indoor and outdoor use, boasting weather resistant paint, a sealed design, and a hefty, weighted base to withstand even the strongest gusts of wind.
The design is subtle, elegant, and timeless, and perhaps what the Designer Aire represents more than anything is the coming together of style and substance in one impressive product.
With a 100% satisfaction guarantee, the Designer Aire is warranty covered and comes with helpful and attentive customer service to make sure your needs are met.
- Sturdy materials.
- Elegant, subtle design.
- Wide range of oscillation.
- 3 speed settings.
- Weighted base for balance.
- Weather resistant.
- Choice of colours.
- More expensive than some models (mid-range).
- ADJUSTABLE AND FLEXIBLE OSCILLATING FAN: Telescoping neck allows you to adjust the fan height anywhere from 40-51 inches high. Oscillating fan head is 18” wide and tilts so you can cover a wide room for maximum cooling.
- PACKS A PUNCH: 3 adjustable speeds and a 45-watt motor packs a punch for cooling your area fast. Low setting is 900 rpm, Medium is 1100 rpm, and High is 1280 rpm. The fan head measures 18 inches.
- FOR INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE: Coated in All-Weather, U/V paint for outdoor use. Wet-listed safety rating, with GFCI plug. Weighted base for extra stability against bumps.
- OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE AND UNMATCHED ELEGANCE: This premier oscillating fan is constructed with high-quality brushed stainless steel. Sleek and shiny stainless steel construction with a timeless and elegant finish.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: You deserve the best, so if you are unsatisfied for any reason simply let us know and we'll make it right!
However, before you dive in and purchase an outdoor patio fan, there are several things that need to be taken into consideration.
For a lot of people, the price of a product is an important factor in the decision-making process and can make or break a sale.
What people ultimately want is value for money, and this value can be ascertained by deciding what purposes you want the product to serve.
Once you have these needs listed, you can then decide on a maximum amount you would like to spend, and find the product that best suits those two sets of criteria.
With this knowledge, you can then decide whether you are prepared to increase your budget slightly to get a product that fully serves your needs, or whether to settle for the one within your budget.
It is worth noting too that a higher price tag doesn’t always ensure a higher quality product. With certain products, technology included, a high price tag can just be paying for a famed brand name.
Similarly, don’t always assume that a cheaper product is garbage – always check the reviews, and compare them, looking for common denominators that can help you find the truth of the products you are looking at.
Either way, there are plenty of mid-range products on the market now that deliver effectively without costing a lot of money, so it pays to do your research and shop around.
Anything to do with the home should ultimately be attractive or pleasing to the eye. This is a big thing that consumers look out for, and something like an outdoor patio fan should be no different.
There is nothing that can take away from your relaxation like an ugly feature, piece of lawn furniture, or hideous piece of technology on your deck, and so it is best to choose something subtler and timeless that will gel with most styles and decorations.
Also, look for reviews regarding the sturdiness of the product.
This is incredibly important for longevity and effectiveness, especially with a product that is going to be spending a lot of time outside – like an outdoor patio fan.
You want something that boasts high quality, durable materials, is (at least) somewhat weather resistant, and has minimal features and moving parts, as these needless accessories are what tend to break or malfunction over time.
Ideally, you want to find an outdoor patio fan that could quite as easily be brought inside and incorporated into the interior decor as well.
For this reason, it is perhaps best to find a fan that isn’t too cumbersome or large, and which can be easily transported from place to place with minimal effort.
You also want it to be fit for purpose. Obviously, in the case of an outdoor fan, you want it to be able to sufficiently keep you and your family cool and comfortable in the hottest temperatures.
This means that there needs to be a certain level of power involved with the fan itself to make this happen – particularly in the United States and countries with equally hot climates.
Settings can be useful for this, and many fans come with a variety of easily adjusted settings to adapt to whatever environment you want to put them in.
This tends to feature three or more speeds, different environmental modes (such as indoor or outdoor), multiple time settings (to turn off after a certain period of time), and an oscillation setting that allows the fan to rotate left and right on its axis.
Size is an important factor with any larger pieces of technology or yard equipment.
If an object is too large, it makes storage a problem, not to mention the versatility of the product in terms of positioning and use.
Whilst larger items do have their benefits in terms of being harder to steal (due to size and weight), and being harder for the wind to blow over (due to weight), there are far more advantages with smaller products, some of which have been mentioned above – such as the option to bring it inside or have more choices for positioning.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Fan Speed Important?
The fan speed directly relates to how cool you will be when in front of the fan. As such, fan speed is integral to the design.
Metal Or Plastic?
For outdoor use, metal is definitely advised, purely because it is more sturdy and weather resistant.
That being said, there are plenty of rugged plastic models on the market, and they are also lighter and easier to transport.
What Does RPM Mean?
Rpm stands for “rotations per minute”, and refers to the speed of the fan based on how many times the blades do a full rotation of 360 degrees.
Is Voltage Important?
Both wattage and voltage are important, as they determine the power (and speed) that the fan is capable of reaching.
The higher the voltage, the more powerful the fan, and ultimately, the cooler and more comfortable you are.
Is Adjustability Important?
Whilst not necessarily vital, adjustability does allow you more versatility in how and where you can position the fan.
This is purely a personal issue, and depends on the number of people you live with, the size of the space you want to cool down, and the climate you live in.
A single person would not require much adjustability, as they can simply sit in front of it.
However, a large family wishing to sit on their patio or porch might require a more adjustable design to properly accommodate the angles they need.
And there we have it, everything you need to know about the best outdoor patio fans on the market.
Just remember, the important things to take note of are sturdiness, price, and functionality.
Perhaps most importantly though, the best thing you can do is to create a list of your needs, combine these needs with your intended budget, and then read the reviews to see which item more thoroughly meets your requirements.
Why not try one for yourself? Your body will thank you come summer!